General Election November 3, 2020
The Colony City Council will hold its General Election for single-member council districts on November 3, 2020. This year, Places 3, 4, 5, and 6 are up for election for three-year terms. The first day to file an application for a place on ballot or write-in candidacy is Monday, July 20, 2020. The Last day for filing an application for a place on ballot or write-in candidacy for the general election is Monday, August 17, 2020.
Residents who have not previously registered to vote, or have moved from another county, will need to register with the Denton County Elections Administration Office by visiting https://www.votedenton.com/ or by phone at 940-349-3200. Once you have registered to vote, you should receive your card within 30 days. Last day a person may register to vote in the November 3, 2020 election is October 5, 2020.
Section 2.04 of the City Charter states to file for a elective city office, one must meet the following qualifications:
In order to be a candidate in this election, applicants must meet the following qualifications:
- Shall be at least eighteen (18) years of age at the time of the election for which they are filing;
- Shall be a registered voter of the State of Texas, a resident of The Colony, and (if applicable) the district from which he is elected at the time of filing for election and throughout his term of office;
- Shall be a resident of the city of The Colony for not less than twelve (12) months immediately preceding election day.
Important Dates to Remember:
- First Day to File for Place on the Ballot and Write-In Candidate - Monday, July 20,2020
- Last Day to File for Place on the Ballot and Write-In Candidate - Monday, August 17, 2020
- Drawing for Position on the Ballot - Monday, August 24, 2020
- First Day of Early Voting by personal appearance - Tuesday, October 13, 2020
- Last Day of Early Voting by Personal Appearance - Friday, October 30, 2020