- Feature Links
- Out of State Officers
Out of State Officers
Lateral Transfers (TCOLE Certified)
($10k sign-on bonus for currently certified Officers)
Lateral Transfers must be TCOLE Certified or eligible to challenge the state test upon hiring to be eligible for the incentive.
Sign-on bonus is paid out in three increments after hiring. $2,500 at 3 months, $2,500 at 6 months and $5,000 an 1 year anniversary of hire.
The City of The Colony has high minimum requirements in order to attract the best applicants possible. We feel that it is our duty to our citizens to hire only highly qualified personnel.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must be at least 21 years of age with a High school diploma or G.E.D.
- Ability to pass departmental physical agility test. (see details below)
- Possess 20/20 vision in each eye either corrected or uncorrected, and with no color or night blindness
- Have normal hearing range in each ear either corrected or uncorrected
- Have the ability to intelligently read, write, and speak the English language
- Valid Texas Driver’s License without restriction (except A) at the time of appointment. In the past three years; no more than three total entries for moving violations and/or accidents, nor any involuntary license suspensions during that period
- No Class A Misdemeanor or Felony Convictions ever and no Class B Misdemeanor convictions within the past 10 years
- Must never have been convicted of domestic violence
- Must not be addicted to narcotics
- Must not indulge in excessive use of intoxicants
- Nothing less than “Honorably Discharged” from military service or prior law enforcement service
- Pass a detailed background investigation.
Drug Use History
Candidates answering yes to any of the following questions will not be considered for employment as a police officer:
1. Have you used marijuana at all within the last year?
2. Have you used any other illegal drug (including anabolic steroids after February 27, 1991) at all in the past 10 years?
3. Have you ever sold any illegal drug for profit?
4. Have you ever used an illegal drug (no matter how many times or how long ago) while in a law enforcement or prosecutorial position, or in a position which carries with it a high level of responsibility or public trust?
Any tattoos or body art on any part of the head, neck, face or ears are prohibited. This includes body art, intentional scarring, branding, or body mutilation. Also prohibited are: gauges; pierced, split or forked tongue; any foreign objects inserted under the skin on hands, neck, face, and head; and / or dental ornamentation (gold, platinum, silver or other veneer caps for the purpose of ornamentation). Teeth, whether natural, capped or veneered shall not be ornamented with designs, jewels, initials, etc. Accessories attached to the body must be removed if visible while in uniform.
After a conditional offer of employment is made you must:
- Pass a physical exam based on job description
- Pass a drug screen
- As of September of 2019, all officers will undergo mandatory fitness testing once a year. The test consist of completing the row machine testing.
- This testing will be overseen by certified Department Fitness Coordinators.
- 85% - 100% $1000 fitness bonus.
- 70% - 84% $750 fitness bonus.
- There are three (3) sections on the written test; LATERAL TRANSFERS ARE NOT REQUIRED TO TAKE WRITTEN TEST.
- Mandatory Fitness Test Standards:
Below is the Physical Fitness requirement of tests, minimal standards, and the order in which they are completed.
Physical Fitness Evaluation Guidelines
- 2000 Meter Row - Based on Age, Gender, Weight.
- Minimum time must be at least 45% - Based on DPS Concept 2 Rower Calculator.
All test results will be compiled for internal use only. Only those individuals in an officer’s direct chain of command, Legal Advisor, and persons with the permission of the Chief will have access to fitness testing information.
Any officer who is medically exempted from undergoing fitness testing will be scheduled to complete the fitness test upon receiving medical clearance from the treating physician or in certain circumstances a Department physician. Any officer who cannot participate in fitness testing for medical reasons will not be allowed to return to duty until medical clearance is obtained, nor allowed to work off duty as a police officer.