Short Term Rentals

In the fall of 2022, the City of The Colony adopted a new program requiring short-term rentals (STRs) operating within the city limits to be registered with the city and for STR operators to begin applying, and remitting the city's adopted hotel occupancy tax rate of 7% to rentals booked at their properties.

rental homeIn order to facilitate this program, the City has contracted with a third-party vendor named GovOS to manage and provide a convenient, paperless, online platform for STR operators to stay in compliance with the new program. Below are further details about GovOS and what you can expect regarding the use of their platform going forward. The program and GovOS software will go into effect Oct. 1, 2022.

**This program does not further regulate or prohibit STRs from operating within The Colony other than what has been described above.**

Register your short-term rental:

  • To register your short-term rental with the City of The Colony, please visit and click the link at the top right of the new page to register or log in to your account

Submit a complaint on a short term rental

  • To submit a nuisance complaint on a short term rental near you a 24/7 hotline is available to call at 972-544-9555 or you may submit your complaint via e-mail here

For general inquiries regarding The Colony's short term rental program you may submit them to: 

About GovOS

GovOS_Logo Opens in new windowGovOS Short Term Rentals, previously MUNIRevs, is an online tax, licensing, and vacation rental compliance software company that works with communities all over the country. GovOS Short Term Rentals has processed over $2 billion in paperless revenues and is proud to have over 50,000 businesses using the self-service business center to remit items due to their community. 

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Short-Term Rental?

A Short-Term Rental, also known as a vacation rental, is the rental of a legally licensed dwelling unit for periods of less than 30 consecutive days per occurrence. A Short-Term Rental Registration is required prior to advertising and renting your property.

Who needs to apply for a Short-Term Rental License?

Any owner renting a property for a period of 30 consecutive days or less is required to apply for a Short-Term Rental Registration. It is the owner(s)’ responsibility to know and comply with all ordinances, resolutions and regulations that apply to short-term rentals within the City of The Colony.

What if I do not obtain a Short-Term Rental License?

Renting or advertising your home for rent on a short-term basis without a license is in violation of the City of The Colony’s ordinances and subject to enforcement processes as provided for in Chapter 8, Article III, of The Colony’s Code of Ordinances.

What is the Hotel Occupancy Tax?

This is a 7% tax on your gross short-term rents not already remitted by an intermediary. Hotels, motels, and all Short-Term Rental properties are required to pay this tax. Gross short-term rent includes all consideration received for occupancy including all non-optional fees (other than taxes) such as booking/reservation fees; cleaning fees; pet charges; fees for extra vehicles, people or beds; etc.; and any amounts received from Lodging intermediaries.

Why am I now required to collect and remit the city’s portion of Hotel Occupancy Tax?

In August of 2022, The Colony City Council adopted an ordinance requiring all short-term rental operators within the city limits to begin collecting and remitting the city’s hotel occupancy tax rate of 7%. 

When is the Hotel Occupancy Tax due?

Tax payments are due quarterly no later than the last day of the month following the end of the prior month. See the list of due dates per quarter below. If there was no rental activity for the entire quarter, you are still required to submit the completed Hotel Occupancy Tax form. 

Key dates:

  • Sept. 15, 2022: STR License registration begins.
  • Oct. 1, 2022: Hotel/STR Tax Collection goes into effect.
  • Jan. 1, 2023: Hotel/STR Tax forms for Q4 will be available to pay in GovOS, with the forms being due no later than Jan. 31, 2023. 

Quarterly due dates:

  • January 31
  • April 30
  • July 31
  • October 31

How is penalty and interest calculated on late payments?

PENALTIES: When a tax form is late, penalty is charged day 1-60 after the tax is due. 10% of tax due is charged on the 61st day after tax is due. Penalty shall not be less than $1.00.

INTEREST: When a tax form is late, beginning on the 61st day after the tax due date, delinquent taxes shall draw interest at a rate of 10% per annum.

Note: Interest will not begin calculating until after the tax form is 15 days late. Penalty will be assessed when the form is one day late.

What is the cost of an STR Registration?

There is currently no fee associated with the Short-Term Rental registration.

Does my short-term rental license apply to multiple properties?

No. You are only allowed to short-term rent one dwelling unit per license in the City of The Colony. Each STR requires its own license.

Is the City working with Airbnb?

No. Airbnb does not collect or remit Hotel & Motel Occupancy Tax to the City of The Colony on behalf of property owners and/or authorized agents.

Is the City working with Vrbo?

No. Vrbo does not collect or remit Hotel & Motel Occupancy Tax to the City of The Colony on behalf of property owners and/or authorized agents.

Can I pay by credit card?

Yes. We accept all major credit cards except for American Express. The City does not charge a transaction fee for STR payments submitted by credit card transaction.

Can I pay by e-check?

Yes. You can select e-check during checkout. In doing so, you authorize your bank to send the payment electronically to the City of The Colony. The City does not charge a fee for ACH transactions. 

I need to close my account. What do I do?

Please send email to ShortTermRentals@thecolonytx.govPlease include the closure date and the reason you are closing the account.

How do I amend a return?

Please send email to to let us know you need to file an amended return. You will need the following information prepared:

  • Your six-digit registration/account number, and owner name;
  • Period you need to amend (i.e. Q2 2022 form due April 30);
  • If you overpaid or underpaid your original form; and,
  • Brief explanation as to why the form needs to be amended

Once we receive this email we will review your account and send you further instructions.

What types of assistance can MUNIRevs provide to me?

MUNIRevs can assist you with all your system and account questions. Whether you have a question about your account or technical questions about how to do something in MUNIRevs, please reach out to their support team. They can always reach out to the City on your behalf if they need assistance with one of your questions. You can reach MUNIRevs at and by phone at 888-751-1911.

Where are my tax forms? My Action Center is empty. 

Your tax forms will be available on the 1st day of the month following the last day of the tax period. For example, the Quarter 1 (January-March) tax forms will be available in your Action Center on April 1. If you do not see the forms you expected, simply contact MUNIRevs support for assistance.

Can I manage multiple properties with one login?

Yes - to do so, click "Add" accounts from your user login under "Manage Your Account(s)." You will need your six-digit account number and the LODGINGRevs Activation Code to connect to an existing property record.

Can a property have more than one user?

Yes, each property can have an unlimited number of users. Each user is required to provide the six-digit account number and the Activation Code to be authorized to connect to an existing property record. 

I did not receive, or I misplaced the letter with my activation code. What do I do?

Contact MUNIRevs, or by phone at 888-751-1911 for assistance. You will need to confirm account details to be verified for the account. To protect the security on property accounts, you will need written (e-mail) permission from a registered owner or officer of the property for us to provide you with a new activation code.

Can I file a Zero File tax return through MUNIRevs?

To file a zero file tax form, select your tax form from your Action Center. Then, complete the required information on the remittance, including Gross Rents and any deductions. You will be prompted to confirm your desire to complete the return as a Zero File return.

What payment types are accepted by the City through MUNIRevs?

The City accepts ACH Debit or e-check, as well as the following major credit cards: Visa, Mastercard and Discover.

Can I schedule a payment in MUNIRevs?

For your security, MUNIRevs does not store any payment information in the system. You will need to enter your desired payment information each time you check out.

How do I change the User on a Property?

All users need to register, just as you did, by going to the home page for that jurisdiction (i.e. Users will click on the "Go" button under "New Users." They will also need the six-digit account number and Activation Code for the property.

I forgot my password. What do I do? 

From the login page, click the “Forgot your password” link and follow the instructions that will be e-mailed to the User’s registered e-mail address.

Do I have to login to MUNIRevs to see my alerts and reminders?

No. All alerts are e-mailed to your authenticated e-mail address. When you login to the system, you will also see any open alerts that need to be addressed in your Action Center. 

For assistance, contact:

MUNIRevs Support,, 888-751-1911. When contacting support, be sure to include the jurisdiction (The Colony) and your account number in all emails or voicemails. This will help them assist you as promptly as possible.