The US National Weather Service-Fort Worth is monitoring extreme winter weather conditions across North Texas. Residents are advised to monitor weather media closely and take precautions.
Please continue to monitor updates to the forecast in the coming days. Take steps now to protect the Four Ps:
Please visit www.Ready.gov/winter-weather for additional weather preparedness information.
Keep up with the alerts at the National Weather Service Fort Worth website.
Trash/recycling collection notice for week of Feb. 15.
Should your power go out, report the outage to your utility provider, which would be either Oncor or CoServ:
- For Oncor, report online or call 888-313-4747;
- For CoServ, report online, call 844-330-0762 or text OUT to 768482; and,
- In the event extreme winter weather results in lengthy residential power outages, the Marriott properties at The Cascades will be offering residents of The Colony discounted rates for those who may wish to find alternative lodging. More information about their "Good Neighbor Rate" is available onlineor by contacting the properties directly. Please note, rates are subject to availability and will require a valid credit card for reservation:
- Residence Inn: 214-469-1155
- Fairfield Inn & Suites: 972-370-7732
- Courtyard: 214-469-2525
The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) is expecting record electric use as a result of the extreme cold temperatures that have already reached much of the ERCOT region. Residents are encouraged to visit their website to track grid conditions or download the ERCOT mobile app. ERCOT recommends the following conservation tips:
- Set your thermostat to 68 or lower when you’re home and awake, and turn your thermostat back 5 to 7 degrees when asleep or the home is empty for more than 4 hours. (Don’t do this if you have a heat pump. Instead, set your thermostat as low as comfortable and maintain the setting.)
- Open curtains and blinds on south-facing windows during the day to allow sunlight to heat your home, and close them at sunset to reduce the chill.
- Keep your fireplace flue closed unless a fire is burning.
- Turn down your water heater temperature setting to warm (120 degrees F).
- If you have a pool, run your pool pump during the coldest part of the day, typically in the early morning.