The Colony Animal Services (TCAS) wishes to remind residents that the "Safe Outdoor Dogs Act" (S.B. 5) went into effect Tuesday, Jan. 18. Here are some highlights from the new law:
- Owners must use approved cable tie-outs, trolley systems, or "zip lines;" NO tethering with weight or chains;
- Tether must be attached to a properly fitting collar or harness;
- Dogs must have adequate shelter from extreme weather;
- Dogs must be able to avoid standing water; and,
- Dogs must have access to clean drinkable water.
If you see outdoor dogs in your community whose level of care does not meet the requirements outlined in the law, TCAS encourages you to document and report to law enforcement and/or animal services. To read the law in its entirety, please click here. For more information, contact The Colony Animal Services on social media or by calling 972-370-9250.