The City's Public Safety and Emergency Management personnel encourage residents to prepare for an upcoming cold front expected to hit North Texas between Dec. 22-24.
The US National Weather Service Fort Worth Texas says temperatures will fall dramatically during the day on Thursday, Dec. 22, with dangerously cold wind chills Thursday night into Friday, Dec. 23.
- Take steps now to protect the "Four Ps:" People, Pets, Pipes, and Plants! Cover exposed pipes and drip faucets indoors during the freeze. More information about pet safety during cold weather is available on the Friends of The Colony Animal Services social media. Additional preparedness information is available in this week's e-newsletter or by visiting the city's emergency management website, www.TheColonyTx.gov/BePrepared.
- Also, residents of The Colony who may need assistance with temporary sheltering during this week's winter weather event may call The Colony Police Department's non-emergency line at 972-625-1887. Dispatchers will then put residents in contact with local social service representatives who can provide assistance.
- In addition, Relevant Life Church in Lewisville (331 E. Church St.) is available as an emergency warming-station as an extension of the Salvation Army-Lewisville. Per the City of Lewisville, this is expected to be a 24-hour operation through Saturday night but staff will monitor the situation if the hours need to be extended. Pets are not allowed. People are welcome to bring food and drinks (non-alcoholic) but it is not necessary. Dates/Times:
- Thursday, Dec. 22, to Saturday, Dec. 24
- Daytime: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Overnight Emergency Shelter: 6 p.m. to 9 a.m.
City offices & facilities will be closed Friday, Dec. 23, and Monday, Dec. 26, for Christmas. The library will be closed Dec. 23-26. There will be no delays to trash/recycling collection due to the holidays. For more information, contact Customer Services at 972-624-3131.