Students in The Colony begin the 2018-19 school year on Wednesday, Aug. 15, when Lewisville and Little Elm ISDs opens their doors.
As the new school year begins, motorists are encouraged to observe school zone signs and share the road safely with buses and pedestrian traffic as children make their way to and from campus. In preparation for the first day, Public Services staff have been programming the school zone signs, which will begin flashing the day before school on Tuesday, Aug. 14.
Children are unpredictable so be alert! The National Safety Council has provided the following Back to School safety tips and information for motorists:
- It is illegal to pass a school bus that is stopped to load or unload children;
- Cellphone use is prohibited in school zones;
- Stop your car far enough from a bus to allow children the necessary space to safely enter/exit a bus. The area 10 feet around a school bus is where children are in the most danger of being hit;
- Stop your car far enough from the crosswalk to allow children the necessary space to cross the street. Do not stop with a portion of your vehicle over the crosswalk as this forces pedestrians to go around your vehicle and puts them in a dangerous situation;
- Always stop when directed to do so by a school signage, patrol officer or crossing guard; and,
- Take extra care to watch for children not only in school zones but also in residential areas, playgrounds, and parks.
For more information about traffic safety, please contact Community Resource Officer Brian Lee at 972-625-1887 or email [email protected].