Everyone has been asked to make sacrifices throughout the community in order to flatten the curve & slow the spread of COVID-19 throughout North Texas. The following resources are available to assist those who may need help or for those looking to give.
HOW AND WHERE TO GET HELP
While we encourage you to explore everything listed here, we recommend the pages of the following agencies as among those offering the most comprehensive resource listings in our area:
Foodstuffs & Toiletries
- NTX Community Food Pantry, 469-514-9065, 5201 South Colony Blvd., Ste. 650: NTX Community Food Pantry (NTXCFP) provides food to feed families in need. Based on availability, NTXCFP distributes meat (frozen or canned), peanut butter, fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as non-perishable canned food items to our guests. Food and toiletries are available for pickup 9 a.m. to noon Mondays and Wednesdays; and 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Thursdays. The NTX Community Food Pantry began in The Colony in 2007 and serves The Colony, Southeast Denton County and surrounding areas. Guests may visit the pantry once a week to receive supplemental help with groceries. NTXCFP partners with The North Texas Food Bank and is an approved affiliate agency.
- Christian Community Action, 972-219-4307: Christian Community Action (CCA) urges those who have emergency food needs to call 972-219-4307. CCA seeks opportunities to preserve the dignity of our community members in-need and their families. CCA’s food pantry is a fully-stocked, self-selection grocery store. More than 40-percent of an individual or families’ food needs can be provided by accessing the pantry and this allows families the ability to better resolve their personal crises through preservation of household income for other essentials such as rent, utilities, childcare and healthcare.
Prepared Meals for Students
- Lewisville Independent School District has a free meals program for everyone age 18 and under. The following schools are being used as distribution sites in The Colony. Food can be picked up at the front of the school between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Monday-Friday:
- Camey Elementary, 4949 Arbor Glen Road;
- Peters Colony Elementary, 5101 Nash Drive;
- Stewart’s Creek Elementary, 4431 Augusta St.
- Love Pacs: For areas that do not have meals available from a local school, LovePacs is a non-profit organization serving several different communities with meals for students who depend on the school system for breakfast and lunch. For information, call 214-316-9901, send an email, or visit their Facebook page.
Prepared Meals for Senior Citizens
- The Colony Senior Center/SPAN/Denton Meals on Wheels Program, 972-624-2246: Meals on Wheels of Denton County provides nutritionally balanced, home-delivered meals to homebound elderly and disabled citizens of Denton County between 10:30 a.m. and noon Monday-Friday. To receive Home Delivered Meals, each recipient must be:
- 60 years or older;
- Genuinely home-bound by reason of physical or emotional health;
- Unable to prepare nutritious meals for themselves and have no one else living in the home who could do this for them;
- Living within reasonable proximity of a meal site;
- Be home to receive meals; and,
- Have a completed assessment for home delivered meals on file with Meals on Wheels of Denton County.
Crisis Intervention/Emergency Relief Funding
- Next Steps, 972-445-7770: Next Steps is a non-profit that provides free coaching and resources to prevent life’s obstacles from becoming crisis and to help those already in crisis to recover. Next Steps The Colony has created a central fund for helping individuals and non-profits in The Colony meet their needs at this difficult time. Funds designated for coronavirus relief will be distributed only to recipients in the city of The Colony.
Housing & Utility Bill Assistance
Wireless Internet Access
Free Wifi access available in the parking lots of these locations:
- The Colony Public Library, 6800 Main St. Look for “The Colony Library Parking Lot” wireless network from the parking lot to connect;
- Some LISD Schools, including BB Owen Elementary; Camey Elementary; Peters Colony Elementary; Stewart Creek Elementary; and The Colony High School. More info.
Also, Charter Communications is offering free access to Spectrum Broadband and Wi-Fi for 60 days for new K-12 and college student households.
- The Denton County Veteran Stability Program seeks to help eligible Veterans, their dependents and surviving spouses facing financial hardships with temporary assistance.
- The City of The Colony offers a 10-percent discount on utility bills for residents who are active or retired Armed Forces veterans. Click here to apply.
- The Colony Animal Shelter, 972-370-9250, 4720 East Lake Highlands Drive: If you are unable to provide food or litter for your pet please contact us.
- Grace Like Rain: GLR, along with many local churches and non-profits in the area, are working to create a solution for families who still need to report to work during the time our kids our out of school for COVID-19. Application link.
Business & Employment Resources
WHERE TO DONATE LOCALLY